Our first year of marriage, Devin cooked my stuffed bell peppers for a date night in- that was my first time eating them and they have been a favorite since! I made this particular vegan stuffed bell pepper recipe because it isn’t as complicated as many stuffed bell pepper recipes I’ve tried to cook up in the past, but also because meat is expensive so we are always trying meat substitutes.
As someone who isn’t really traditionally a fan of mushrooms, I love the heartiness the mushrooms add to the recipe. Additionally, I much preferred the Ragu Thick and Hearty Roasted Garlic sauce because of the flavor and texture; I’ve found that often stuffed bell pepper recipes have tomato paste and I always think that tastes really bitter!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 chopped sweet onion
- 1 chopped zunchini
- 4 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 2 cups of Ragu Thick and Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce
- Cook brown rice
- Cut tops off bell peppers; discard seeds and membranes.
- Cook peppers in boiling water 5 minutes; drain.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add rice to the skillet with the ragu sauce and all of the recipe seasonings and mix.
- Spoon 3/4 cup rice mixture into each bell pepper.
- Place stuffed bell peppers in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Parmesan cheese can be added prior to baking the stuffed bell peppers for a vegetarian option.
This is my first experience with the new line of Ragu homestyle sauces and I’m a big fan! I will definitely be trying the other flavors they have because I loved how it saved me some time on the recipe too 🙂 .