I’ve been looking for the perfect spaghetti recipe for a while. I’ve cooked spaghetti on the stove plenty of times, but I’ve always felt it was pretty plain and I didn’t enjoy eating it as leftovers. This enters my foray into looking for the perfect spaghetti bake. After going to Italy, our pasta recipes have been more frequent trying to replicate anything in vain; the country may have been 97 degrees or hotter the whole time, but we ate reaaaaally well.
The great news for you is that I MADE THE BEST SPAGHETTI BAKE RECIPE. I’m nice enough to share it with you 😉 . It is both super easy and super unhealthy… so enjoy!
- 1 (16 oz) package of whole wheat spaghetti
- 1.5 pounds of ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (16 oz) jars of Ragu's Homestyle Four Cheese Thick & Hearty Sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups of Ricotta cheese, divided
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9 by 13 Pyrex.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. When water is boiling, place the spaghetti noodles into the pot for 8-10 minutes.
- While water is boiling, brown hamburger meat into a pan. Saute chopped peppers and onions with the meat and drain the fat after they are finished cooking. After the fat is drained from the meat, let the spaghetti sauce simmer on low with the meat. Mix the meat with the sauce.
- Prepare a mixing bowl with eggs, Parmesan cheese, and melted butter. After these items are whisked together, place the spaghetti noodles in the mixing bowl. Use two forks to help stir the noodles without tearing them up.
- Place half of the spaghetti noodles into the Pyrex dish. Then place one cup of Ricotta cheese and two cups of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of it. Additionally, place half of the spaghetti sauce on top of the noodles.
- Place the rest of the noodles in the Pyrex with the last cup of ricotta cheese spread over the mixture, place the rest of the spaghetti sauce on the mixture, and then spread the remaining mozzarella cheese on the top of the spaghetti.
- Put aluminum foil on top of the Pyrex and place in the oven for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, take the foil off of the spaghetti and cook for an additional 20-25 minute insuring the mozzarella cheese on top is melted.
In the past, I’ve made my spaghetti sauce, but using this Homestyle Ragu sauce was a nice change for me. I liked that I was able to buy less ingredients without compromising taste, I didn’t have to add any spices or salt to the recipe, and it made cooking even faster for me! A previous recipe where I used Ragu sauces is my vegan & glutten free stuffed peppers which are much healthier 😉 . Also, I consider it a huge win that my husband asked me to pack some of this baked spaghetti up for him for lunch before we even had time to put it in the fridge. Win, win!